Care and support for adults in Bristol

Care and support for adults in Bristol

Care and support for adults

Accessibility settings

If you have problems with accessing this website go to the website accessibility advice page.

We recognise that sometimes adults need support to live independently. Support can come in many different forms and you can access this yourself or with our help.

We can offer you support if you live in Bristol and have:

  • a disability or a long-term illness
  • a learning difficulty
  • mental health needs
  • age related health issues
  • any other social care needs that impact your independence

Or if you are:

  • an unpaid carer (taking care of a family member or a friend)
  • concerned about someone you know

We can support you to prevent, reduce or delay the need for longer term care. We want to make sure you can live independently and in your home for as long as possible.

We like to promote adults’ independence, choice and ability to make decisions about the care and support they receive.

Below is a list of services and information points where you might find the help you are looking for- without the need to contact us. 

  • Well Aware is the place to go for information, advice and guidance about organisations, services and activities for adults in Bristol.

    If you want to get out and about more or need advice about an issue that’s worrying you then the Well Aware website can help.  You can use the website to search for what’s going on near you and find links to travel related information.

    If you’d prefer to talk to someone then you can call Well Aware on (freephone) 0808 808 5252. They can then email or post you the information.

  • Home Adaptations and Equipment
    Here you can find information on lots of accessories that you can buy, which can help you to carry on living independently at home.
  • Money and Legal Matters
    Information on benefits and financial support you may be entitled to.
  • Support for Unpaid Carers
    Unpaid carers are people who are supporting family members or someone they are living with. The Carer’s Support Centre website has lots of information.
  • Transport
    • Transport and mobility- Information on community transport, disabled parking blue badges, concessionary bus pass.Travel West: Plan journeys by bus, MetroBus, Park and Ride, rail, car, motorcycle, bike, and on foot.
  • Citizen’s Advice Bureau
    Bristol gives free, independent, impartial and confidential advice about benefits, debt and money, relationships, housing, healthcare, and many other issues.
  • Health Care
    If you have any non-urgent concerns for your health, you might find the information you are looking for on the NHS choices website.
  • Help with meals
    Find out what you can do if you find it difficult to prepare a hot main meal for yourself.
  • Housing options for older people
    Find information about care homes, supported housing, extra care housing and retirement houses to rent and buy.
  • Occupational therapy
    Occupational Therapy can help you to regain lost skills and can arrange for aids and adaptations you need in your home.
  • Physical activity referral programmes for people with health conditions
    The aim of these programmes is for people with specific health conditions to achieve the Department of Health’s recommended 150 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity a week. 

When you contact us

If you find it difficult to do a number of things that seriously affect your wellbeing and content in the Adult Care section does not provide the information you need, you can contact us.

We want to give you as much choice and control as possible about the support that might be helpful to you.

When you contact us, we’ll talk about:

  • keeping you independent or helping you to become more independent
  • any personal care needs you may have
  • your mobility
  • keeping your home safe
  • being able to carry on working or volunteering
  • being part of your community
  • being able to meet your friends
  • any short-term support that you can remain living  the way you used to live your life or become more independent
  • what support you may need if you are a carer

How you can contact us

If you can’t find what you need on our website or think you need to contact someone about your situation contact us on 0117 922 2700. This is the direct phone number to Care Direct, the main way to contact adult social services in Bristol

If you prefer to contact us online, you can fill in an Adult Care referral which can help us to find out what your needs are. It helps us to find out about the care and support that can help you to live independently and may lead to a detailed assessment.


You can:

If you complete and submit an Adult Care referral form without speaking to Social Care first then an advisor will contact you to find out more about your needs.


If you're already receiving care and support from us, you can still talk to us about this.

What happens when we get an Adult Care referral from you

When we get the online form, Care Direct will usually contact you to go over the information and discuss how your needs can be met both within adult care and from other sources.

If we are not able to find support within your community that can meet your needs and improve your wellbeing, we may refer you to a fuller assessment.

The assessment of your care needs will help us to understand if you are eligible for support from us.

See Eligibility guidance

If we think that we can help, and you are eligible, then we'll work with you to agree on the right Care and Support Plan to meet your needs.

How much you may need to pay for your Care and Support

Most people have to contribute towards the cost of their care and support.

The amount you may have to pay is determined by a financial assessment during which we try to work out how much you can afford to pay towards the care and support you need. It involves looking at your income, savings and individual circumstances-  this is also known as means tested.

If you are eligible for a Care and Support Plan then we'll talk to you about your finances including your income, savings and individual circumstances.

Read more about Financial assessment.

What happens if your needs change

If your needs change and you feel you may need more support, please contact us to discuss this on 0117 922 2700 or complete a new Adult Care referral form.