Public vote on Port Communities Resilience Fund opens: Port Fund logo

09 Jan 2018

Economy, Enterprise, Business and Jobs

Public vote on Port Communities Resilience Fund opens

People living in Avonmouth and Lawrence Weston ward are invited to help decide which local projects will benefit from the £1m Port Communities Resilience Fund.

Residents can vote to help determine how £340,000 of the fund will be spent. It is designed to support local communities facilities and is set aside from the larger £1m Port Communities Resilience Fund, which comes from the sale of the Bristol Port in 2015.

The vote is running until Saturday 13 January and will help narrow down nine shortlisted community projects which range from supporting a local rugby club, to helping set up a £4million wind turbine project to generate community funds and low cost energy.

Councillor Asher Craig, Deputy Mayor and Cabinet Member for Communities, said:
“We’re taking forward nine community projects to a public vote. We’re nearly over the finish line but these organisations are depending on your vote.

“I want to encourage everyone to have their say. It’s a really exciting opportunity for the communities in Avonmouth, Lawrence Weston, Shirehampton and Sea Mills and Coombe Dingle to pick the projects they want to support with this money.”

The public vote results will be combined with the scores of a residents’ panel of eight local people who will meet all nine projects and interview them. Their combined scores together form 65% of the total, with a council-led technical assessment team providing the remaining 35%.

Cllr Craig added: “We’ve set this up so that local people’s opinions have the majority influence on how this funding is invested. This decision is really in their hands. We are confident that local citizens will make the right choices for the future of their communities.”

Local people living in the ward can vote on phones or computers at www.bristol.gov.uk/PCRFvotenow.

Alternatively, they can vote by filling out a paper form at one of these venues during their normal opening hours:

Avonmouth
- Avonmouth Library, Avonmouth Road, BS11 9EN (phone: 0117 9038580)
- Avonmouth Medical Centre (Pioneer): Collins Street, BS11 9JJ (phone: 0117 959 1919)

Lawrence Weston
- Ambition Lawrence Weston, Youth Centre, Long Cross, BS11 0RX
- Lawrence Weston Medical Centre (Pioneer), Ridingleaze, BS11 0QE (0117 959 1919)

Shirehampton
- Shirehampton Library, Station Road, BS11 9TU (0117 9038570)
- Shirehampton Group Practice, Pembroke Road, BS11 9SB (0117 9162226)

Sea Mills
- Sea Mills Library: Sylvan Way, BS9 2NA (0117 9038555)

The results will be announced in early February 2018.

ENDS