The service, to be held at 11am on Sunday 13 November, will see the city fall silent to commemorate the contribution of military and civilian servicemen and women in the two World Wars and later conflicts.
Due to the ongoing redevelopment of the City Centre the Cenotaph, the traditional location of the service, is unavailable this year.
An earlier agreement had been reached to hold the event outside the Memorial Gates of Bristol Rovers’ Memorial Stadium. Following talks between the club, the Council and representatives of the Armed Forces, a decision has been made to opt for Queen Square.
Councillor Jeff Lovell, Lord Mayor of Bristol, said: “Due to the ongoing redevelopment of the area around the Cenotaph we’ve known for some time that another venue was needed for this year’s act of remembrance. A number of alternative options have been suggested and I was delighted to hear that the football club were supportive of holding the service outside the Memorial Gates, a focal point of local remembrance. I’d like to thank the club for that offer and their support over the past few months as we’ve looked to plan this event.
“After much discussion between the Council, the club and the Armed Forces, it has been decided that Queen Square would be used for this year’s act of remembrance. This means that the parade and service will continue its association with the City Centre following almost exactly the same route and itinerary as previous events.”
Bristol Rovers Chairman, Steve Hamer, said; “We were happy to offer the use of The Memorial Stadium for The Remembrance Sunday service and parade.
“We understand, though, that an alternative venue has now been selected and we hope that the day is successful and we will be only too happy to help the City Council out if they require our services at any point in the future.”
Further details of the parade route, timings, road closures and itinerary will be release soon.