Coronavirus: library information
Coronavirus: library information
What Bristol libraries are doing in response to coronavirus (COVID-19), which libraries are open, which services are available.
Services will be returning to normal. Keep checking back for more updates.
Libraries and their services
Browse and borrow books, and computer use
These libraries are open for you to browse and borrow books, and for computer use:
- Central Library
- Bedminster Library
- Bishopston Library
- Bishopsworth Library
- Clifton Library
- Filwood Library
- Fishponds Library
- Henbury Library
- Henleaze Library
- Hillfields Library
- Horfield Library
- Junction 3 Library
- Knowle Library
- Lockleaze Library
- Marksbury Road Library
- Redland Library
- Sea Mills Library
- Shirehampton Library
- Southmead Library
- St George Library
- St Pauls Library
- Stockwood Library
- Westbury Library
- Whitchurch Library
- Wick Road Library
You can also check our online resources.
What to expect when you visit the libraries
Follow social distancing guidance where possible, and be considerate of others using the library space.
Coronavirus safety measures
- Hand sanitiser units will be available for you to use in key locations around each library.
- Wear a face covering if you're able to.
- We've put plastic screens at some staff desks, to minimise contact between staff and visitors.
NHS Test and Trace
If you visit the library, you’ll be able to check in using the NHS COVID-19 app or to give us your contact details, to support NHS Test and Trace. Any contact information you give us will be kept securely and destroyed after 21 days.
Events and activities
To keep our staff and library users safe we're only running events and activities in our libraries outside of normal opening hours or in rooms separate from our main library floors.
We're still maintaining social distancing, and ensuring our spaces are well ventilated and cleaned.
Attendees will need to book in advance for all events and activities. This is so that we and hirers can control numbers, which must be no more than 50% of the normal capacity.
We encourage people attending events and activities to:
- wear a mask or face covering, if you're able to
- use the hand sanitiser provided
- check in using NHS Test and Trace
- take a lateral flow (rapid) test before attending and only attend if the test is negative
For larger events (approximately 75 attendees or more)
If you're aged 16 or over and attending a larger event at one of our libraries, you must also provide one of the following:
- proof of a negative NHS COVID-19 lateral flow (rapid) test result taken in the 48 hours before attending, this can be in a text message or email from NHS Test and Trace
- an NHS COVID-19 Pass (NHS.CO.UK) which confirms double COVID-19 vaccination received at least 2 weeks before attending the event via the NHS App, a vaccination card is not enough
- proof of a positive PCR test within the last 6 months, after you've finished self-isolating and up to 180 days after taking the test via the NHS COVID-19 pass on the NHS App
No drop in events can currently take place.
Protecting you and our staff
Do not visit the library if you:
- are required to self-isolate after visiting another country
- have symptoms of COVID-19, self-isolate and get a PCR test
- have tested positive for COVID-19 with a lateral flow (rapid) test, self-isolate and get a PCR test
- have tested positive with a PCR and have been told to self-isolate
- have been identified as a close contact of someone who’s tested positive for COVID-19 by NHS Test and Trace, or you have received a notification to isolate from the NHS COVID app