Financial help if you've lost your job or had a drop in your income because of COVID-19

Financial help if you've lost your job or had a drop in your income because of COVID-19

Help available if you can’t work, have reduced income or have trouble paying your Council Tax and other bills.

What you get may depend on your circumstances. It can be complicated to claim benefits and you should get help before you do this, especially if you already get benefits. Check the Citizens Advice site for help. 

Find out how much you could get by using the benefits calculator.

Help with Council Tax

If you’re struggling to pay your Council Tax, you can:

Only get in touch once you know what your income is likely to be, for example if you’re a furloughed worker or you’ve claimed Universal Credit.  We can give a reduction for up to six months before the date you applied.

We’ll be in touch regarding any amount owed if you’ve missed payments and offer support to get back up to date with payments, including:

  • reorganising payment plans
  • working out monthly instalments

There’ll be no interest on debts due to missed Council Tax payments and we won’t be taking recovery action for council tax debts for now.

You can’t work because you’re ill or self-isolating

If you’re too ill to work because of COVID-19 or have been advised to self-isolate you:

You can’t work because your employer’s business is affected

Your employer can designate you as ‘furloughed’ through the coronavirus job retention scheme (GOV.UK).

This means you should continue to receive at least 80% of your usual salary, up to £2,500 a month. This also applies if you’re casual staff or on a zero hour contract. 

Contact your employer if they haven’t spoken to you about this.

If your employer has gone into administration, you will need to contact the administrator to access the scheme.

You were made redundant

If you were made redundant  you can apply for Universal Credit (UC) (GOV.UK) if you don't already get benefits.

You’re self employed and your business has been affected

If your business and income has been affected, you can:

Help with other bills

If you’re having trouble paying bills you: